The Umbrella is a energy beam defense facility that can protect against Coronal Mass Ejections (CME) and space-based energy beam weapons. Only 1 is needed per surface to protect against CMEs or energy beams.
- The Umbrella has passive power draw of 10MW and an internal battery of 1GJ.
- The base power draw for a CME on a planet/moon with 5000 radius and 100% solar is 160GJ over 2 minutes with peak draw of 2GW at the 1 minute mark.
- The power draw is proportional to the radius and solar strength.
- If the Umbrella fails to satisfy its power demand the CME will not be blocked, as result the player may experience damage.
- An Umbrella placed on a planet or moon will also protect its orbit and vice-versa. The power requirements are the same for protecting the orbit as for protecting the planet/moon.
Calculating Umbrella power draw on Nauvis for a CME:
By default Nauvis is 5692 radius, thus:
5692 / 5000 = 1.1384
Using this modifier we can calculate power draws (100% = solar modifier):
1.1384 x 2GW x 100% = 2.28GW
1.1384 x 160GJ x 100% = 182GJ
Players only have to provide either 2.28GW of sustained power or 182GJ excess energy in form of energy storage (steam batteries, accumulators) over 2mins. However, a combination of the two also works.